THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 12, 2008

We dig it!

The farmer in Larry is alive and well. He has ordered seeds, plants and saplings in anticipation of growing his own mini garden and orchard on our postage stamp size lot. Seeds are germinating in our kitchen in little containers and Larry is treating them with TLC until they are ready to transplant outside.
So, when an invitation came to participate with some neighbors in planting, caring for and harvesting a garden on a neighbor's not so postage stamp sized lot, how could Farmer Larry refuse? This morning he put on his John Deere t-shirt, work gloves and hauled his tools over to the dirt to start digging and planting seeds. The weather was beautiful and made for a fabulous morning.
Caleb pointed out this little bird guarding it's nest of eggs--although, I highly doubt it put those rocks like that. If all of this doesn't say Spring, I don't know what does?

5 comments:

Karin said...

Wow! Just yesterday I was telling Jim how excited I am to start our very own mini garden... You have a pro on your hands! That is so exciting:) And what a RaNdOm nest for that bird! hope the eggs survive!

sarah said...

That garden is enormous! I imagine this won't be the end of helping there. What are you guys going to grow in your patch?

Kimberly Hill said...

Katie, I need to know your secret at how you are able to accomplish it all with the kids and activities. I have lost control...I am excited about your garden, super fun to do as a family.

Kim

Katie said...

Sarah, There will be pumpkins, watermelon, corn, peas, beans, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, a variety of squash, zucchini (is it squash?), lettuce, spinach & maybe more. It will be great to enjoy the harvest!
Kim, I so don't have it together and rarely accomplish anything without tremendous effort! My life has changed dramatically with the addition of Chloe. I keep wondering when, and if, I will ever get back to "normal". I am impressed with all you are able to do! I guess we all see the fruits of each other's efforts and don't realize the craziness behind the scenes.

Jan Hawkes said...

Way to follow the prophet on a grand scale. Hope farmer Larry's boys learn to tell the difference between vegetable plants and weeds. They will get plenty of practice and soon learn how much better home grown produce tastes! Farmer Jim is great with vegetables, but every year mistakes my infant zinnias and other sprouting flowers for weeds. Wish there were some way I could mark them. Let us know when the baby birdies hatch. That will be fun to watch.