THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 15, 2008

Wrestling with my acceptance of this sport


Carter celebrates victory with his teammates that also placed at the district tournament.

Carter stands on the award podium accepting the 3rd place medal.


I never understood Wrestling. First of all, the uniforms are the ugliest things I have ever seen. Brad Pitt would look nerdy in one. I can remember guys in high school wearing sweatsuits around with the hoods on trying not to eat so they could 'make weight'. Why would they torture themselves so they could put on that unitard (I know, singlet) and roll around with another guy in a singlet and then end up with cauliflower ear when they're older? Weird.
You can only imagine my reaction when my sons came home and asked me to fill out the permission forms for wrestling. Ugggh.
I must admit I have gained an appreciation for wrestling. I have faithfully gone and cheered my boys on at every one of their matches. I've washed and air dried their singlets. While I still don't understand the scoring system and admit I cringe a little every time I see them walk onto the mat in their singlet, I am very proud of all the hard work they put in and the positive effects they've experienced being on a team, learning to be a good sport in defeat and victory, and feeling the satisfaction that comes from giving something your all.
Now I'm looking forward to next year's wrestling season.

2 comments:

Jan Hawkes said...

Congratulations, Carter! You're the man. I can hardly wait to see you wrestle one of these days. Keep up the great work.

Annee said...

I still think unitard is the best word to describe the outfit.

But you are a great mom to come around and find the deeper meaning. Your boys are lucky to have you as a cheering squad.

Can you imagine wearing one of those? I'd probably walk around with a hood on all day long and not eat anything either, if I knew I was going to be sporting that outfit later in the afternoon!