THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 5, 2009

Wear Shoes in a Snowstorm




This morning was the kids first day back at school after the Christmas break. It was a nice surprise waking up to several inches of fresh snowfall that continued to come down most of the day. After taking Carter & Chase to their school, I came home and started trying to get the other boys up and focused on getting to school in a timely fashion. This was proving to be a challenging task. With just a few minutes to spare before the tardy bell would ring, we were headed out the door. I was in my pjs, sans makeup, and sporting a ball cap. Chloe was also in her jammies. I quickly grabbed her sippy cup of milk, her blankey, and went to grab my shoes when she threw her cup on the floor and sent milk splattering everywhere. This was all we needed in a time crunch. I found a towel, threw it on the milk, realized my shoes weren't by the door, reasoned the drive was short and the car was still warm, loaded up the kids and pulled out onto the snowy street for the short drive to the school. Half way to the school my car started sliding off the road narrowly missing a tree by about 6 inches. I could tell I had hit something but with bare feet wasn't prepared to get out and check. I carefully backed my car out of the snow bank and drove to the school parking lot with the car obviously in distress as it was pulling and shaking the whole way. I didn't know what to do. Once at the school I persuaded Corbin to give me his boots so I could assess the damage. I waddled to the passenger side with my feet hanging over the top of Corbin's boots to see the hub cap hanging off and a blown out tire. I'd left my cell phone sitting on the counter next to Larry's, who had accidentally left his home that morning, too. So much for calling him to come help. Luckily my sister lives close. I wrote her number on a paper and told Corbin to go in, tell the secretary what happened, and call Aunt Laura to come rescue us. I sat in the car waiting and watching the minutes tick by on the clock. Panic started to set in as I thought Corbin didn't get a hold of her and never came to tell me. Just as I was debating the barefoot, pj clad, baby-toting sprint into the school, I saw Laura's car turn in. She pulled up along side me waiting for me to hop out, so I opened my door and flashed her a glimpse of my bare feet. She smiled & shook her head. As she hopped out to get Chloe, I enviously admired her jeans tucked into warm boots. She apologized for being late noting that she was moving all of her items and shoes out of the car due to her late arrival from Utah the night before. We couldn't help but chuckle at the irony of the situation. I didn't want to get my feet more frozen, so I grabbed an empty purse that was in my car, put one foot in and hopped over to her car. Seeing me hopping along, when I got in she said, "Oh no! Are you injured?"

Maybe just a little brain damaged for driving in a snowstorm barefoot in my pj's and then hopping through the snow with my foot in a purse!

Thanks to Laura for rescuing me and driving me around to find Larry who ended up being at home to pick up his cell phone!

8 comments:

Jody said...

Thank you for the laugh.....I enjoyed that! Sorry to hear about your car though.
I'm still laughing imagining you hopping along with your foot in a purse.......

Annee said...

I am so glad that you are willing to share your stories. They are so totally funny. Just what I needed tonight!

And thanks for the life lesson!

P.S. I think I'm laughing so hard because I can picture myself doing ALL of the same things.

Joella said...

Katie,

I drive my kids to school almost everyday in my PJ's and no shoes. I always wonder when my day will come. Thanks for some laughs.

Berta Lewis said...

Katie, you are a total laugh riot! I am still laughing. The fact that you could write the whole episode testifies of your follow-through. I especially loved the creative foot-in-the-purse trick.

Jill said...

Thank you for the Christmas picture and letter. It is so great to see your family growing and happy. I drive Katie to the high school in my robe and bare feet a lot. Only difference is there is no snow here in the winter. That made me laugh. If you want to see what the Coon family is up to our blog is coolcoons.blogspot.com. Hope to hear from you. I didn't send Christmas cards this year because I didn't have a family picture. Looks like your family is doing just great. It is nice living by family again.

Ali Hawkins said...

Hi Katie I remember you. Chase will love to see the pictures of your Chase. Where do you guys live now?

NatalieD said...

Wow! Those are the "fun" moments you'll always remember. I'm sure you'll use that experience in a talk or family home evening.

Mom said...

Katie, between this and your $26 gas discount I'm beginning to appreciate your ability to keep a smile on your face!