THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Life is Good

Last night when I made my post I was feeling kind of depressed about the summer. My husband would soon be leaving again to do some more work. My extended family was enjoying time away with their kids at the cabin. I felt stuck at home just having had a disaster of a Family Home Evening that I was hoping would be major family bonding time. As I have had time to reflect, I've had an attitude adjustment and realize that things aren't so bad. First and foremost, I am very grateful that we have work. I am super enthused about the projects we have been working on. Each of the places we have been driving has had hospitable family members willing to put us up. My parents have been extremely gracious in letting us stay at their home. They have fed us well, entertained us and put up with our quarrels, rambunctiousness, and messes. We have enjoyed every second of interaction with them, Haley and the other aunts, uncles, and cousins. Carter and Chase have received tours of the BYU athletics areas from the foremost expert in the field, Grandpa Hawkes. While we were in Utah we were able to stop in SLC and visit with Larry's dad and Marlene in their new apartment. They ordered in Pizza and we got to watch a dvd the folks in Guatemala put together for them. It was great catching up. While working in Logan, Larry's cousin and his family have welcomed him to stay in their home. He loves watching their kids do their rodeoing and hanging out and talking with Russ & Angie. Their teenage son Cooper even went and helped Larry work. Larry said he was a hard worker and is a great kid. Our family recently had an amazing time in Washington. We stayed with Larry's brother Steve, his wife Sheri, and their kids. Carter and Chase stayed an extra day hanging out with their cousins, Jeff and Justin. They went boating, played video games and just had fun. Corbin and Caleb went to Larry's brother Lynn and his wife Jami's home where Jami spent the day at the Aquatic Center with all of the kids. They had a blast. That night we hung out on their front lawn watching the kids do stunts on their bikes, gymnastics moves and even a little wrestling. It was wonderful. Gage, Jett and Case were very kind with our kids and willing to share their toys, bikes, scooters, and popsicles. We went to Royal City where Larry grew up and had an amazing time at the Allred's. While I worked with Carly, Larry and the boys went swimming in the "pond" equipped with serious diving platforms, canoes and a zip line. On our way out of town, Larry took us on a scenic drive and shared all kinds of stories with the kids about his childhood experiences. Priceless. We drove past the watermelon farm where cousin Kent works. We chatted with him and he gave us a sampling of the crop to take home. Life is good.
In reality I am very grateful for my abundant blessings. I am so glad that the MRSA has gone away, and that Chase didn't cut off his finger.

4 comments:

Annee said...

You more than compensated for your previous post. But a little bit of venting never hurt anyone. You guys have been busy, and all over the place. Too bad Korea never factored in! What a blessing Carter didn't cut his finger out. Way to see the silver lining.

Annee said...

P.S. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with disastrous Family Home Evenings.

Jim said...

we really missed you guys at the cabin, it's true. Hope you're on the mend, and we look forward to playing with your boys while they're just around the corner. sorry we've been less-than-helpful this summer...i feel like I'm finally at a point where i can be productive and contribute to society a bit, beyond changing diapers and cleaning up spills (minor feats when compared to 1,000's of miles of driving for employment, i know)-all said while typing and fixing toys one-handed as I nurse--- anyway- we hope to get together soon! (and WE'll bring the dinner this time:)

Jess ♥'s Joel said...

Hi Katie, not sure if you remember me, Jessica Betz from Chap ward in Gilbert. I stumbled across your blog and just wanted to say hi. Your family is beautiful!