THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

10 fond memories from my childhood

1. One of my memories is of a trip that we took to Boston. Around age 6, we went to the Zackrisons who were going to college at the time. It was my first time on a plane and I discovered Ginger Ale and was amazed that they would just keep bringing it 'for free'. I found this journal entry I made about the trip.It is still what I remember.

"We just whent to Boston Mass. We whent to a place ware there were witchcraft We whent to Old Iron Sides We whent inside it to I had a great aventcher there. Katie Anne Hawkes"

2. Going to Grandma and Grandpa Hawkes house in Preston, Idaho. I'd always fall asleep on the way and wake up in one of the bedrooms downstairs a little disoriented. Once I realized where I was I'd be so excited and run up to greet my Grandma. I loved playing dress-up in her clothes and shoes, eat homemade cookies from her doghouse cookie jar, and play outside in the treehouse and barn. Great times
3. My mom taking us to get Easter dresses each year. We'd get to go to Mini-World or Jolene's to pick one out. She'd also frequently sew matching outfits for all of us. I loved the seersucker sailor inspired outfits she made one year.


This picture of my mom, Lisa, and I is from a Mother/Daughter fashion show the Relief Society put on one year.
4. Going on a caravan road trip with the Widtfeldts. I thought it was so cool that my grandparents had a motor home. I remember riding in it with Aunt Wendy and she was trying to teach me how to braid. I couldn't figure out how a braid used 3 groupings of hair and looked like it was only two. My family with Unlce Steve, Aunt Wendy, and Grandma Widtfeldt.

5. Going to Great Grandpa Wood's house. He would always greet you with a bearhug that could crack your ribs. He had raw almonds and sherbet in his freezer and Hazel had homemade wheat bread to offer up. We went there frequently and there are numerous memories I have of our visits. I loved his Cape Cod style house with white siding and dormer windows. I couldn't imagine that a more charming house could exist anywhere.

This picture is at Great Grandpa Wood's home for an Easter Egg hunt.
6. Going on a road trip from Orem, Utah to NYC, NY in our Green/Cream two toned Chevy station wagon. My dad drove that right through Harlem and would pull over and talk to people like we were in Mayberry, USA. I remember the finger flipping out of other vehicle windows and the yelling of, "Go back to Utah!" That was a great summer vacation, though.

Can you imagine that car with the Sears Ex-Cargo cartop carrier (my sisters are sitting on it) driving through Manhattan with all of us little 'deer in the headlights' kids staring out the windows? Too funny.

7. Trips to the Weber Cabin. We'd frequently invite another family and as a result I have many memories of the various experiences. For example: chasing down the raft by swimming in the ice cold water, shooting potguts with our homemade bows and arrows, sasquatch lighting our campfire, the chocolate chip cookie eating weirdo who paid a visit to the cabin, etc.


Here I am on the wooden raft at the Weber Cabin pond and holding a snake my siblings, cousins and I caught in the stream.

8. My dad taking us along on his business trips to St. George, Utah. We'd hang out at the Holiday Inn pool that was 1/2 indoor and 1/2 outdoor and think we'd gone to heaven. I felt very sophisticated knowing I was going to get a continental breakfast.

9. My dad would read us Uncle Remus stories at night but change the words so we could understand what was being said. He'd get part way through the book and say, "I need to rest my eyes for just a second." Much to our disappointment, he'd always fall asleep when he said this. He also told great stories about growing up on the farm. We'd beg for 'just on more'. After several, and our plea for one more, he'd say,"Let me tell you the one about Shadrach, Meshach, and To Bed You Go." He thought that was pretty funny.

10. When I went away to girls camp, I came home to a completely redecorated room. My mom had set up a daybed, hung a country blue goose border and decorated it all with country blue, white and tan. I was in love. She hung a little decorative plate with a kitten on it that read 'To a daughter who's PURRRRfect just the way she is."

3 comments:

Jill said...

I loved hearing all your memories of growing up. The harlem story was the best! This large white family in a station wagon driving in Harlem. CLASSIC!

Sports Giveaway said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Shosteds said...

Your trip to NYC sounds just like ours growing up! I love these memories... helps remind of me of my fun childhood years!! You're so inspiring!