THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

10 Favorite Memories of Teenage Years

Today's 10 on Tuesday is actually narrowed down to 1.

1. Turning 20.

That's about all I can think of. Being a teenager wasn't an awesome time for me. Luckily, my two teenage sons are making up for it and I am loving watching them be teens.

Okay, so my mom and sister made me think more about it and I'm feeling guilty about not having more positive to say. Here are nine more:

2.Taking the black and white tv into my room in the summer and watching Gidget, Gilligan's Island, and Brady Bunch reruns while I ate mac and cheese, a quesadilla or top ramen and waited for my "Sun In" spray in hair lightener to develop.

Here we are with the neighbors at Lake Powell. I took ocassional breaks from Gidget.

3.Coming home from JR. High to Duran Duran's Wild Boys blaring from the record player, walking in to find Laura and Nate dancing around like maniacs to it in the kitchen.

Laura and Nate with their best friends, the Shins. They frequently had them join in on Duran Duran and Depeche Mode renditions.


4. Playing stylist to my little brother Dave. Dave was like my little Ken doll. I'd do his hair with a cowlick, roll up the sleeves on his tshirt, and peg his pants. He was so cool and cute.

Check out that cowlick and the rolled up sleeves. Good work, eh? Like my sun-in effects?

5. Helping Lisa choreograph a dance routine for her Stars Class to Notorious by Duran Duran. Do you remember that Lisa?

Here I am doing some dance moves with the Jr. High PTSA council--copying Breakfast Club.

6. Going on the family trip back to NYC Statue of Liberty Celebration.


7. Going to Chicago for Uncle Steve's wedding.

8. Driving around with my best friends, Stephanie and Emily, with Led Zeppelin cranked as loud as the station wagon stereo could go. Even though we were in the station wagon, we'd all sit in the front seat. We'd drive to 7 Eleven and load up on Slurpees and get sugar rushes.

Hanging out with Jr. High friends--Jenny, Melissa, Emily and Angie.

9. Skiing at Sundance with my yellow Sony Sport cassette player and earphones listening to my new Red Hot Chili Peppers tape. Yes, in neon.

Wow, that is some nice form. Ha. Ha. Good thing it's a b&w shot or you'd be blinded by the neon colors of the ski suit.

10. Walking to Naugles (bean and cheese burritos), Macey's (Seventeen Magazine and Cover Girl Shimmering Shell Lipstick) or the shaved ice shack (Pink Grapefruit/Grape mixed).

6 comments:

Becky Noftle said...

Short list! Now, come on--I bet you had the best organized/decorated room out of anyone in your peer group!

Jan Hawkes said...

Cute and clever. This is the list of a perfectionist. Please keep in mind that no one does the teen years to perfection - not even on the Disney channel. I could easily come up with 10 fun memories I have of your teenage years. Just give me a minute to find the photos to go with them.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

I will list a couple of my favorite memories I have of you being a teenager:
1.Taking me to Von Curtis to get my hair cut into a bob.
2.Making us fried ice cream that you learned to make at either Chi Chi's or Ricardo's.
3.Skiing with me at Alta and being called the Neon Sisters because of our ski garb and the fluorescent pink Zink we wore on our lips.
4.Your bedroom that was always clean and decorated with coolness that you tore from pages of Glamour and Mademoiselle.
5.Getting very nice cards and letters from you while you were a nanny in Boca Raton.
6.Blaring Edie Brickell in a tape player in the bathroom while you got ready.
7.You always had sweet pale pink pearl lipstick on and tan legs.
8.I remember whatever you drank at home it was usually out of a goblet. That may be why I prefer to drink out of glass goblets at my home.
9.You were always good at talking mom into doing fun things like taking us to lunch, etc.
10.Mom and Dad always seemed to delight in introducing you to their friends and colleagues because you would always say such clever things.

Katie said...

WoW! Thanks. Very nice of you, Lisa. Mom, PLEASE don't find pictures to go with any lists-K?

Katie said...

Mom, let me clarify, in all other instances, I love the pictures you find but for my teenage years, I prefer not to have to see those. UGGGH!

Jan Hawkes said...

I guess you're worried I'll post the photos of you taken during Spirit Week in middle school, right? Like on Nerd Day. I wish. You must have your photo album because I don't see most of the ones that should be preserved for your posterity. I did find some your children will appreciate, especially your daughter.