THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

10 Favorite Memories of Dad

Today's 10 on Tuesday:My dad holding me when I was an infant.
1. Compassionate --My Dad would always be visiting with our elderly neighbors or those in need. He genuinely enjoyed visiting with them and would like taking us with him. He has made numerous friends from Beaver, Utah, our home in North Orem, and from his new home in Middle Orem. When my Grandma Widtfeldt was living her last years in Orem, he took special care of her and made friend with the residents and staff of the care center where she lived.
2. Competitive Spirit--He loved challenging anyone and everyone to one armed push-up, chin up, free throw, weight lifting, or one-on-one basketball contests. He especially loved taking on young, athletic guys and whooping on them. He would frequently take us to BYU to show of his high jumping skills where he could high jump his height of 6-2!
3. Hard Worker-- He would purposely look for the harder way of doing things. We had a hand push lawn mower that he would use instead of a motorized version. He'd push that around every Saturday and make it look like a breeze. I always wanted to try it because he made it look fun, and I couldn't even make it budge. He also works super hard in his profession and wins numerous accolades, awards, and recognition for his efforts (competitive spirit shows there, too).
4. People Person--It doesn't matter where he goes, he strikes up a conversation with anyone. It turns out he knows their ancestry, occupation, religious beliefs, family status, hobbies, political persuasion and more, by the time he says goodbye. He just genuinely loves interacting with people.
5. Funny--My dad loves joking around. Boy can he dish it out, but he can also take it. I love bantering back and forth with him and matching wits. Of course, he's no match for me. ;) He loves to laugh and have fun.
6. Family Guy--My dad loves his family. He loved his parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, uncles, aunts, and my mom's family, too. He always has great things to say about all of them, loves visiting them, and has told us special stories about most all of them. He also loves us. You see the gleam in his eyes whenever we are around. You just know he loves you and is proud of you. He shows this same love for each of his grandchildren and in-law kids. He makes each one of us feel special .
7. Farm Boy--My dad grew up on a farm and was proud of it. We would visit his parent's farm as frequently as possible when we were kids. He loved taking us on tractor rides and telling us the stories of his childhood. Since our own family lived in the 'city', he always took pride in planting a backyard garden, supporting the local produce stands, and working hard doing farm type chores. When I was really little he worked for an elderly dairy farmer in Beaver milking his cows. He'd take me with--I was around 2--and teach me the names of all the different breeds of cows.
8. He introduced us to delicious foods like avacado sandwiches, tomato sandwiches, scrambled eggs, asparagus. He still loves to whip up food for us when we visit. He especially loves fresh, garden produce and anything 'healthy'.
9. Performer--My dad is not one to shy away from attention. He loves putting on his magic sports coat and performing magic tricks for kids. He'll make pennies disappear, remove his finger, & cut bananas without peeling them. I loved having him perform for mine and my siblings friends. Now it's fun watching him carry on these traditions with his grandkids.
10. Gospel Lover--My dad taught seminary when I was a little kid. Loves doing missionary work. Loves studying and memorizing scriptures. Has always willingly accepted and magnified his church callings. He loved telling us stories from the Bible and Book of Mormon when we were growing up. He goes the extra mile to be there for baptisms, ordinations, and baby blessings. I have no doubt of my Dad's testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

4 comments:

Jan Hawkes said...

What a wonderful tribute, Kate. Thanks for taking the time to write this up. Well said.

Bishop Hawkes said...

What a wonderful tribute from a very clever daughter (further proof I am indeed your father)! Thank you, Katie, for being so thoughtful (you must have inherited that trait from your mother). You are extraordinary in every way and have so many talents. Numerous lives are blessed because of you and your complete committment to the gospel. I love you.

Jim said...

Great write up! Yup, you're dad is fabulous! Many on your list made me laugh (competing with the younger crowd...)
THIS is why I get so behind on my "10 on Tuesday". I just can't compete with clever writing skills.
...I still intend on catching up on this, childhood/teenage memories and more...

Melyssa Quigg said...

Katie!! I am so excited I found your blog!!! You probably dont recognize the last name- but this is your neice! Cant believe how big all your kids are getting!!! You'll have to add me! quiggclan.blogspot.com