THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 9, 2009

We've been making a lot of dough.

Lately as breadwinning has become more challenging, we've looked for ways to cut back and be thrifty. When Grandma & Grandpa Hawkes (Jim & Jan) asked what we could like for Christmas, we requested a grain mill. They gave us a dandy. We have taken to opening up our cans of food storage wheat, breaking open the cookbooks, grinding the wheat and making dough. I have baked a minimum of 4 loaves of bread per week. At first I would stick 2 in the freezer but would end up pulling them out before they could get cold. It has been an economical and healthy way to help fill up four growing boys. Each week I have tried a different wheat bread recipe. At first we experimented with coarseness of grain and honey vs. molasses. Then I broke down and did a white/wheat combo which is the most popular with the kids. Tonight I just pulled out loaves that have mostly wheat flour, a little bit of oats and an equally small amount of white flour. Tomorrow morning I will hear the response as the kids make toast. Carter and Chase used to only want school lunch (which I think alternated between a slice of Pizza or a crispy chicken sandwich) but now they take a homemade bread sandwich. I usually have a little whole wheat flour leftover and make a batch of oatmeal or chocolate chip cookies with it while the bread is rising. The best ones have been oatmeal white chocolate chip and coconut. This was Caleb's idea and they turned out awesome. Oh yeah, I have been doing really good pizza crust instead of going out for pizza on weekends and I want to try tortillas. I know many of you have been doing this for years but my previous idea of homemade was asking Great Harvest to sell me a loaf unsliced.
If you have a favorite recipe, please share it with me.

4 comments:

Jody said...

Good for you. You've inspired me! Once you find some good recipes, pass them on :)

Joella said...

Katie,
On Sunday I just made my first two loaves of whole wheat bread and yesterday I had 1/2 of a loaf left and I took it with some soup to our piano teacher and you should have heard the kids. You would have thought I was giving away a pile of gold. Anway I will give you the recipe it is easy and takes only one rising. Joella

just a mom with a camera said...

wow, that's awsome. i got a kitchenaid for christmas and was feeling so proud of myself and thinking what a great housewife i was for making bread and cinnamon rolls or something 3 or 4 times a week but, now it doesn't seem so impressive. i mean not compared to grinding your own wheat, that takes homeade to a whole other level. i'm impressed and wished we lived closer so we could try some.............jami

Jill said...

I have been trying to do the same thing, making bread. We even had homemade whole bread french toast this morning. Everyone ate it. Good job!