THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter!

We started out the day hardboiling and decorating eggs. We're lucky that our kids actually like eating them. The predominant theme of eggs this year was football. We had pretty, pastel pink, purple, green and yellow footballs! Some of them were designed with specific team logos like the Colts, Giants, Cougars and Knights. Another fun tradition is new Easter Sunday attire. This was my first year being able to buy an Easter dress for my very own little girl. I fondly remember getting an Easter dress each year. Either my mom would sew amazing matching outfits, or we'd make the rounds to Mini-World, Jolene's, or maybe get one in the mail from the Gunny-Sack outlet and Aunt Maggie. My boys just don't seem to get as excited about this tradition. I still do, and always will.
Each family seems to do the hunting and basket thing a little differently. As a teenager, my mom would enlist me to help set up the hunt for my siblings. Having a talent for writing cheesy, rhyming clues, I would make a scavenger hunt for them. Since I was married with my own kids while still helping my mom do this for my siblings at home, the tradition just kept going with my own. This year I am sensing Carter's boredom with the scavenger hunt and think the time has come for me to pass the torch and enlist him as the official cheesy rhyme writer.
When we were kids we always got cardboard glider planes. We excitedly looked forward to those and launching them off the back deck. I love Easter. It is so wonderful to celebrate new life and reflect on the Savior, His sacrifice for us, and especially His resurrection.

3 comments:

Jan Hawkes said...

Thanks for the memories. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed our old holiday traditions. Some are at least 4 generations old. I get a kick out of seeing your kids' versions. Those football eggs are a hoot. Very creative. You have very handsome kids & beautiful. We used your scavanger poems again this year. They can't be beat. Can you post some of Carter's clues? Chrisann called me to get Grandma's recipe for deviled eggs because Uncle Steve remembers them with fondness. Holidays are great family bonding opportunities.

Melinda Hawkes said...

The clues were and are key to a fun and happy easter. Thank you. Pictures of your 2 babies always make me smile. Chloe is so sweet, gentle and bright-eyed. A perfect little doll; well worth the wait. Caleb is just so happy. And his love for certain foods totally cracks me up!

Katie said...

Carter wasn't passed the torch yet this year, so you will have to wait until next Easter to see what he comes up with.