THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 10, 2008

Meatloaf is not a 4 letter word, but Hate is.

I hate to admit it, but I am kind of missing my stay at the Hotel St. Luke's. Of course I am not even sort of missing Chloe being sick, but I am missing all of the cable tv, and ordering my meals from room service. Yeah, our hospital has room service and the food is really good! I'm not talking about the cafeteria coming up with broth & jello, but an honest-to-goodness menu with flavorful, yummy cuisine. While sitting on my cot, holding my little baby hooked to machines (not fun) I discovered a few really fun shows. Two of my favorites were, Flip That House and The Take Home Chef.


On the Take Home Chef, this really cute Australian Chef (pictured above) approaches an unsuspecting grocery shopper and offers to buy the ingredients to go home with them and cook up a gourmet meal. One of the episodes I saw, he went and helped this young mom make her family recipe meatloaf and added some special gourmet touches. He made some fancy scalloped potatoes, and vegetables and a poached pear with cream for dessert. All of this seemed do-able. Since I went to Costco today and bought an industrial size package of ground beef, I remembered the show and felt inspiration coming on. I called my mom for a quick refresher course on scalloped potatoes, and made a simple version of Chef Curtis' meal for my family tonight. Fast forward to FHE.
Tonight at FHE, I made a new rule: No more saying the word HATE--especially in relation to dinner. Now, Fast Forward to dream sequence.
I want to be shopping at Albertson's after cleaning my house really well and getting myself looking really cute (who can let tv camera's just drop in?), to be sabotaged by the Take Home Chef. I want him to come to my house and make something yummy for my crew, leaving me armed with an arsenal of great recipes . I want to hear everyone say the word LOVE, eat all of it and not want cold cereal right as it's time to go to bed.

6 comments:

Jan Hawkes said...

Does this mean you heard the word "hate" after you served scalloped potatoes? Not possible! You are one of the best cooks I know. I think your cullinary skills are being taken for granted. I "hate" to think you won't get the appreciation you deserve until those boys are out in the mission field, but for sure they will miss your meatloaf then.

Katie said...

Thank you. The potatoes turned out great-in my opinion. You are invited to dinner anytime. I love to cook and my family would be content with chicken nuggets, ramen or kraft mac'n'cheese. Go figure.

Annee said...

We've banned the word hate at the dinner table as well. But getting rid of wanting a bowl of cereal even 5 minutes after the dinner dishes are done, is something I could also ban. But "Flip That House" I LOVE. It might be my favorite show on TV.
p.s. I love Take Home Chef as well. But he only picks people up at Whole Foods, so that's the first obsticle in terms of ever thinking that would actually happen to me :) Only in my dreams do I do my hard core grocery shopping at Whole Foods!

Katie said...

Whole Foods, huh? Yeah it did seem more than your regular Joe Albertson's type place. Actually, the 1st episode I saw I missed the beginning so didn't realize the premise of the whole thing. I kept thinking this would be so cool to have this guy go to Annee's and cook with Darin, him wanting to be a chef and all. How is your house flipping going?

Karin said...

Mmmm- I can't wait 'til I can come over and LOVE your meatloaf, go to bed full and be completely satisfied. Perhaps we should rename meatloaf. It just has a bad connotation to it. Maybe a more inviting name would get fewer bad reviews. I love basic homemade meatloaf, however I do not recommend ordering it from Claim Jumpers. (i know, with ALL the yummy food there, why order meatloaf? because jimmy asked the waiter what he recommended, and that is what he said.)

Bridger said...

I also enjoy Flip that House. We are anticipating your next post!