THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

If you like Pina Colada's


Growing up, my family would regularly make Orange Julius'. I can whip up a delicious Julius any time with any variety of frozen juice concentrates. I married the milkshake master. While he maybe had one plate, glass and set of utensils in college, he did have a hand held blender he used nightly to whip up a delicious shake. This milkshake tradition has continued throughout our marriage, and for some reason his waistline has not expanded due to this habit--must be all that delicious meatloaf I make. Anyhow, our 4 little Larry's share this nightly treat with their Dad. I, however, find a shake just a little too thick and sweet. My waistline has expanded and this just does not seem fair. Well, I have found a delicious alternative to the milkshake that all of us enjoy. We take Coconut Creme Coffee Mate (discovered for it's delicious add in flavor to hot cococa), and pour it into a blender with pineapple juice and a banana. Blend it along with some ice, until it is a Jamba Juice consistency. Oh my, it is good. It is lighter and healthier than a milkshake--I think.

Yesterday I was at the grocery store and the guy in front of me had Coffee Mate, which reminded me that I should get some. So, I ran as fast as I could back to get a bottle, discovered it was a Bonus Buy and grabbed two. As I hurriedly set it on the grocery belt panting, the lady behind me said, " So, what do you do with that?"

"Ummm. Pina Colada's."

"Oh yeah. I didn't think you were a coffee drinker."

That's good I don't look like a coffee drinker. But what does a coffee drinker look like?




8 comments:

Annee said...

That reminds me of how it used to bother my mom when people would say, "Oh my, you don't look like you have six kids." Which used to always make her wonder what someone with six kids did look like. So if you figure out what you look like when you drink coffee, do let us know.

Katie said...

I actually probably do look like a coffee drinker. My teeth aren't that white and I'm always kind of jittery.
Yeah, what is a mom of six supposed to look like? Also, don't you love the compliment, "You look good for just having a baby [twins, that many kids, etc.]"?

sarah said...

So did she just assume you were making virgin Pina Colada's or was she suggesting you looked like a slush?

sarah said...

hmmmm. that looks funny. maybe i meant to say lush. oops.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

I am making this tonight for my PARTY! Sounds delicious. You are about the best julius maker I know. I remember you making fried ice cream that was amazing when we were younger too. Have you made that for your kids?

Karin said...

Mmmm! You come up with such great eats! Our family is in a daily habit of creating a "fruit drink". -Orange juice, vanilla yogurt, banana, frozen strawberries, and often canned pineapple and or fzn blueberries. It is so delicious and while we figure it is cheaper than hitting Jamba Juice, it is an expensive habit. We will definitely have to try your concoction.

Melinda Hawkes said...

I wonder how you started using creamer? Still, your creamer idea has made it into our Protein shake recipes. By blending a little creamer with skim milk, raw oat bran, fruit, whey protein and ice, we can actually get our children to eat something with net positive nutritional value. So, thank you Katie. We will have to try your creamy Pina Colada.

Annee said...

Nice self assessment Katie. "My teeth aren't that white and I'm always kind of jittery." I'm still laughing about this. But the back-handed compliment is one I'll never really appreciate.